Have you ever had a dream or desire to do something, go somewhere special, create something, or attain a material item or career move but held off making it a reality? I’m sure you have—whether it be to take your family on a special vacation, purchase a bigger home, attain a new position, or get that new fishing boat.
I have had a dream for 25 years that I am finally making a reality in 2017. I’ll share it with you but my intention for this Monday Motivator is to focus on why we don’t make things happen sooner and encourage you to bring your lifetime dream to fruition.
In 1990, we were living in Virginia Beach. I had just started Office Dynamics. I had a great mentor named Linda Miles who had an established speaking business. Linda was a big hit with the dental industry. Linda used to hold seminars for dentists on cruise ships. I thought that was such a cool idea. And I really wanted to do the same thing for administrative professionals. Well, I got very close to doing the seminar cruise but it never happened. To be honest, I think I was way ahead of my time.
While years have passed, I have never forgotten that dream. After doing our research and taking other necessary steps, we are holding the first Learning at Sea for Executive Assistants and Administrative Assistants in March 2017.
So what about you? What has been in your soul, heart or on your mind for months or years that you are yearning to do, be or have? I have read and believed that a person will know they should take action on something when it does not leave them. In other words, when you continue to have the same thought or dream over and over, you probably need to take action. Whether it be with your spiritual life or relationships, parenthood, or financial dreams.
What stops us from chasing down our dreams?
- Possibly circumstances that you do not have control over.
- FEAR! Usually that is the #1 reason. We can have fear of failure or fear of success; fear of rejection; or losing out.
- The feeling that we don’t deserve to have a particular thing. Maybe you want a bigger home but feel you don’t deserve to have a bigger home or shouldn’t have a bigger home.
- Other people. There are lots of naysayers in the world not to mention our own family. Is someone putting down your dream or telling you it is impossible?
- Financial means.
- Health or level of fitness.
And the list goes on.
So what made me finally pull the trigger for the Learning at Sea experience?
- First, it was deciding that I really wanted to host a unique learning experience for assistants. I have thought about it for more than 2 decades! I knew this dream would always be in my heart. So when you just can’t let a good idea go, that is probably an indicator you should take action.
- We did our due diligence. Of course you have to be realistic about your dream. My team gathered all the facts that would help me determine whether or not to go forward.
- I realized that time stops for no one and I am getting older. If I don’t do this now, then when? How would I feel 20 years from now by not doing this? Would I look back with regret and say, “I should have given it a try.”
- Looking at the worst case scenario. We need “X” amount of attendees for the seminar cruise to take place. What is the worst thing that will happen if we don’t make that number? Will we lose money? Will we owe money? Let’s say your dream is to take your family on a Disney World vacation. What cancellation penalties are involved? Could you live with that? Or what if you take that new job you have been eager to obtain and it doesn’t work out? What’s the worst thing that will happen?
- Muster up your courage and go for it. (But always have a backup plan.)
- Surround yourself with individuals who can act as a sounding board, mentor or advisor. Let’s say you want to purchase a new home, who is advising you on what’s best from a financial and personal lifestyle perspective?
We are half way through 2016. What is a dream or goal you have had for years that you need to bring to life before the end of this year?
Share your answers to the question above in the comments. We want to cheer you on!