I am so excited to write this Monday Motivator because today is my dad’s 89th birthday and because my dad is the epitome of passion that creates energy and longevity. I did not plan for today’s topic to fall on his birthday. I hadn’t even noticed the connection until just now—when getting ready to write you.
Let me tell you about my dad because I have learned so much from observing his life and so can you. His name is Tony and he has always had a passion for life. Even when he was facing very scary life situations and major surgeries, he loved life so much, that he was determined to move through the difficulty and see brighter days.
My dad has owned his own business for more than 60 years and he still goes to work—almost every day. He loves what he does; it gives him a purpose every day. In fact, if my dad just sat around, I don’t believe he would be alive. He owns a very well-known home remodeling company in Lyndhurst, OH. He loves meeting with people, sketching out their dream kitchen or bathroom, working all the details of the job, watching his craftsmen at work and making sure his customer is completely happy.
What does this mean to you? It means:
- Do you approach your work with passion?
- Are you passionate about your career? If you are an administrative assistant, executive assistant, administrator, and secretary –do you see yourself being in a Career of Choice?
- Do you put everything you’ve got into your day?
- Do you give of yourself throughout the day and not worry about what you get back in return?
- Is your customer completely satisfied with your work? Do you touch base with your executive (your customer) to see if he or she is happy with the products and services you deliver?
- Can people tell you like meeting them? Talking to them? Do you take a sincere interest in others?
- Do you follow up and follow through?
More about my dad….. his passion for everything in life—whether for his family, playing golf, watching football, being with his wife, working, hanging out with his buddies—gives him purpose. We all need a purpose! We need to know that we are needed; that we contribute to the world; that we make a difference in the lives of others.
Passion and purpose create energy! It is simple. If you are lacking energy in an area of your life, why? Is it because “the it” doesn’t excite you? “The It” isn’t in line with your values? Or, you lack the knowledge and so you lose your passion? You are too tired? The goal you set is not your goal but someone else’s goal for your life? Are you scared? Are you afraid to fail? Are you afraid of success?
Maybe you aren’t real passionate about finances but they are important. Try to think about how you manage your finances and saving money will help you do the things you are passionate about. So if you are passionate about giving to others who have less than you, by managing your finances, eventually you have more to give—that will make you happy!
One more thing before I go: research shows that people who have dreams, set goals, feel like they have a purpose, are resilient, have a good attitude and take care of themselves live longer than people who don’t.
May we all live to 89 and be active like my dad, Tony DeGirolamo.