Happy New Year!
I hope you had a wonderful holiday and have settled back into work. We are already 11 days into January 2016 and I am asking myself, “What is truly going to make this year different than 2015?” I know it is a new year. And I know I am ready for a year of good health and well-being. That is the most important on my list. But when I sit here and think that I have been doing this job as CEO of Office Dynamics and being a trainer, speaker and coach for more than 25 years, I wonder “What is going to be different this year?” Don’t get me wrong as I love my work and what I do but after a while I can perform a lot of areas of my work with my eyes closed.
I can crank out lengthy proposals in a few hours; I can pinpoint areas of challenge for executives and assistants in a few hours; I can rattle off 100 ideas on how to be a star performing assistant in no time. It’s really easy. I bet you feel the same way about many aspects of your job and your home life.
I think a very important thought to keep in mind is to not become complacent. As good as we are at our jobs, relating to others, and our careers, we need to know there is more. That is the essence of life. That is what excites and motivates us. If this is all there is, it’s not very motivating. Life becomes ho-hum and so do we.
Here are some questions I am asking myself and that will help you determine what will make this year different:
- Where do I need to grow? I don’t know everything. In fact, I have a lot to learn. So at the ripe age of 63 where are my gaps. What are the barriers to me being more successful?
- What about my work relationships? Am I really giving of myself and my ideas? Do I take the time to assist others? Am I really listening to other people?
- Am I an effective communicator? Do I take the time to communicate? Is there a better way to express my ideas? Am I covering enough information for people? Proving adequate details?
- What excites me within my work? What do I do that lights a fire under me so that I am passionate and putting everything into that project or task?
- What is at least 1 educational conference or program that I am going to attend this year, not matter what? (Maybe there will be 2 or 3 programs.)
- How can I get involved in my community to I meet new people and expand my networks?
- How can I make better decisions this year? What has “messed” me up in the past?
- How can I be a better leader?
- In what ways can I be revolutionary, which is the theme for our 23rd annual conference for administrative excellence?
- Life goes by so fast. What do I want to make sure I DO NOT miss?
I hope my list got you thinking as well. It’s just so easy to become complacent, especially when you have reached a certain level in your profession. It takes commitment and discipline to grow. We have to want it and realize that our life will be richer for it.
So, in closing, I wish you the very best of everything in 2016! Thank you for your continued following of Monday Motivators.