NOW IS THE TIME
In this final video of the Now Is The Time Series Joan sheds light on why she loves the administrative profession so much and why and how you should start to plan your succession through this exciting career.
Hi, welcome to the last video of the Now Is The Time Series. Well today is a good program. it’s a good way to end our series because it’s talking about a career path for administrative professionals. More importantly, a career path for YOU!
I just want to take a moment to tell you why I love and loved the administrative career. It’s just a very exciting profession and as I think about it I say, way did it do for me as an individual? It provided me with numerous learning experiences. I met a variety of individuals and I learned so much from each of those individuals. I was constantly challenged; this was definitely a challenging profession for me. It helped me develop my time management technique, my problem solving skills, my communication skills, my organizational skills, handling conflict, dealing with so many different people and personalities. Maybe it even expanded you culturally because of the diverse people you work with.
You have to think on your feet. You have to be able to put out fires very quickly. You have to be adaptable and flexible. I mean these are all wonderful traits that can take you anywhere in life personally or professionally. Today, it’s even more exciting because not only are you performing those core administrative functions; you’re even being asked to step beyond that. There is more exposure for administrative professionals today. If you have a great leader and they’re leading you, coaching you, and teaching you about business. The list could go on and on! I could give you 100 reasons why this is a great career!
What about a career path though? First of all, a career resides in that person. You make the career; the career doesn’t make you. It presents you these options. It presents you these opportunities. If you don’t take hold of them, if you don’t grasp them and say this is my career choice, then the career wouldn’t be a career; just a job. Below are your action steps:
- Decide; is this going to be your career of choice? Some of the more seasoned professionals are probably thinking I just want to coast! I only have a few more years until retirement and I have it pretty nice. So I’m not stretching and going out of my comfort zone. The idea is you still don’t know what’s going to happen? There could be wonderful opportunities out there for everyone. You have to figure where your mind set is right now.
- For the rest of our viewers who actually see this as a career; now is the time! You want to begin to ask yourself questions such as:
- What are my aspirations?
- Do I hope to work for a CEO of a large company?
- Would you like to work in a small organization and allow yourself to grow and grow?
- Is there a particular industry or department that I’d like to work in?
- Is there movement within or do you need to expand your current position?
Now is the time! Today is that day, make the decision if this is going to be your career path or not! I hope you say yes!!
Thank you so much for watching this video! Watch more from this series here. I hope you enjoyed it and remember – NOW IS THE TIME!