Happy Monday! Let me ask you a question: Do you try to do everything yourself? Do you hate to ask for help? Or are you afraid others won’t do as good a job as you would? Is it sometimes difficult to work with people who aren’t just like you?
That is what teamwork is about. We will have more successful events and outcomes if we are willing to “give up” some ownership and trust others to use their expertise.
Every person has something great to bring to the table. When we work with others who have talents in areas we do not, we can accomplish more and do things we might not otherwise be able to do.
Individuals on a quest for excellence realize that building diverse networks, communicating regularly, tapping into others’ strengths and supporting others are important to overall success. So, this week, follow the Road Map to Team Success, outlined below:
- Make sure everyone, including yourself, understands the mission – whether it is the mission of the team, department or project.
- Develop strong communication skills. These should include giving details, providing parameters and deadlines, helping others see the big picture of the project, repeating what you think you heard and listening.
- Know your strengths and get support on weaknesses. We all have gaps. Look for areas you can grow. Also, surround yourself with people who have strengths in the areas you don’t.
- Treat your co-workers like customers.
- Do your part. Do not let the other team members down.
- Deliver services on time, whatever those services might be.
- Be patient. Teamwork takes time, commitment, and understanding.
- What more can you do to make a team even stronger? Why not try that this week?