Star Achievement Series
Office Dynamics International's Flagship Certificate and Designation Program for Administrative and Executive Assistants
Unparalleled Training for Administrative and Executive Assistants
Imagine what it would be like if your organization could increase their executives’ and managers’ productivity by 30% or more?
The Solution: Star Achievement Series
Introducing the Second Generation Star Achievement Series® – the ultimate administrative training course for the new era workplace is now available! Created to address the changing attitudes of employees and leaders alike, this course is a game changer applicable to every industry.
Building on the incredible success of the original Star Achievement Series®, which had been updated 16 times over its 32-year history, the Second Generation is deeper, more intimate, and more robust than ever before.
But don’t just take our word for it – existing Star Achievement Series® clients are raving about the Second Generation. Some describe it as sophisticated, with fresh perspectives that take their learning to a whole new level. Others praise its strategic approach and its ability to go deep into the most important issues facing today’s workforce.
The Second Generation combines timeless principles from the original series with new, leading-edge thinking, making it the perfect choice for anyone looking to stay ahead of the curve. This course offers . . .
Brand new workbook content
that will generate top-level performance through robust topics such as working in a world of uncertainty.
Individual and team assessments
to efficiently pinpoint strengths and areas for growth.
that help employees excel in any work environment (full-time in-office, remote, virtual, or hybrid).
Deep dive learning activities
providing rich, engaging learner experiences and case studies that encourage participants to delve into and explore new concepts.
Focused flow and contemporary styling
encourage learners to engage easily with the material and deep dive into learning objectives.
The Star Achievement Series® is a philosophy-based, career-specific training program for administrative and executive assistants, secretaries, and administrative support staff. Star Achievement teaches assistants a way of thinking. . . being. . . and performing to elicit success.
The Star Achievement Series® was the brainchild of Joan Burge, founder and CEO of Office Dynamics, who used her renowned expertise on workplace effectiveness and administrative excellence to develop a course that is simply beyond compare. Her 50 years of experience in the field adds tremendous value and credibility to the program, assuring buy-in from participants. Her unique experience working as an administrative assistant and as an executive has given her incredible insight that enables administrative professionals to shift their thinking and attitudes.
The Star Achievement Series® training program has a proven track record since 1990, with 16 updates since its inception, leading to its demand in Fortune 500 companies such as Procter & Gamble, Nationwide Insurance, Walt Disney World, Humana, and Cisco.
The Magic Formula
It is the unique combination of four components that make the Star Achievement program powerful and life-changing.
Our Star-Performing Administrative Competencies Assessment will help you identify and measure key behaviors, attitudes, attributes, and values to ensure you’re a stand-out performer that gets noticed, advances, and experiences future success.
Participants walk away
from Star Achievement Series with:
Star Achievement as a Succession Planning Tool
Just as organizations have succession plans for upcoming managers who will someday fill the senior level positions, they should have a similar plan in place for senior level executive assistant positions. High-powered executives need talented, well-qualified, trained executive and administrative assistants. Star Achievement ensures your emerging administrative professionals will be ready to fill those openings and possess the advanced skills necessary to do the job well.
How Star Achievement Series Works
The Star Achievement Series® format is progressive in nature. Each Level builds upon the skills and concepts taught in the previous Level. Level I must be completed before advancing to Level II and so on. The modules build precepts and teach concepts that are strongly interwoven.
Star Achievement is a holistic, encompassing whole-person response to the “silo” of modern life. Star Achievement shows how to put the many confusing puzzle pieces together to achieve balance, success, great results, good attitude, leadership, and good ethics and values as participants learn how to make a choice to embrace the Star philosophy.
Module 1: Be A Star Achiever™ (Attitude)
Attitude plays a critical role in our success at work and in life, but it can be easily influenced by internal and external factors. A negative attitude can inhibit performance, while a positive attitude can enhance it. In today's volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous (VUCA) world, managing our attitudes and emotions is more important than ever. By choosing the right words, displaying courage, leveraging criticism, and maintaining an exploration mindset, we can maintain a star attitude and continue to grow both personally and professionally.
A Holistic View
- Performance Inhibitors
- Performance Enhancers
- Today’s Temperature Reading
- My Beliefs About Attitude
Working In A World Of Uncertainty
- Every Day, We Experience VUCA
- VUCA Case Study
- Skills To Manage Working In VUCA
Attitude Is A Choice
- Eggs And Attitudes
- Attitude by Charles Swindoll
Fighting Office Dragons
- Three Awesome Dragons
- Typical Ineffective Fighting Tactics
- Weapons To Win
- Choosing The Right Words
Performance Enhancing Strategies
- Feeling Intimidated
- Strategies For Overcoming Intimidation
- Recognizing, Clarifying, And Facing Fear
- Steps To Conquering Fear
- Displaying Courage At Work
- Leveraging Criticism
- Looking For The Lesson
- Exploration Mindset
Maintaining A Star Attitude: Action Steps For Continued Growth
- Believe In Yourself
- Commit To Goals
- Stay Motivated
- Stay Positive
- Be Professional
Module 2: Star-Achieving Techniques™ (Skill)
Today’s office environment is busier than ever before, so knowing your strengths and areas for growth, along with upgrading core skills, is paramount in today’s fast-paced office. To be successful in the administrative profession and become a rising Star, you must embrace the idea that your core competencies are vital and all the core competencies must be brilliantly performed! Core business skills, such as communication and managing workflow, are keys to developing Star-Performing employees whose advanced skills add more value to the workplace.
Star Achievement: A Mindset For Stellar Performance
- A Way Of Thinking . . . Being . . . & Performing
- It’s About Evolving
- Why Be A Star Achiever?
Core Skills: The Platform To Success
- What Is A Competency?
- Identifying Foundational CORE Career Competencies
- Star-Performing Executive
- Administrative Professional Competency Model
- Star-Performing Administrative Competencies
- Cognitive-Being Territory
The Partnership Of Soft Skills And Technical Skills
- The Balanced Partnership of Soft Skills and Technical Skills
Amplifying Communication Skills
- The Dynamics of Communications
- Your Personal Communication Style
- Choose The Right Mode For The Greatest Impact
- Effective Digital Communication
- Why Is Turning On Video So Important?
- Digital Communications Checklist
- Social Media Communications
- Keep Technology In Its Place
Managing Time, Attention, And Energy
- Be An Information Flow Manager
- Be Results-Driven
- Energy Management
- Forget Multitasking And Focus
- Balancing Conflicting Priorities
Module 3: Building A Star Partnership™ (Teamwork)
A successful leader-assistant partnership requires commitment, open communication, and the desire to work in tandem. Leaders rely on their administrative partner for everything from project follow-through to client satisfaction, from travel itineraries to budget meetings. Leaders know their effectiveness improves based on the assistant’s skill, knowledge, and ability. Administrative and executive assistants depend on leaders to provide clear direction so they can meet objectives and expectations. By approaching the leader/support relationship as a business partnership, you will gain more satisfaction from work.
Creating A Strategic Partnership
- Striving To Create A Strategic Partnership
- Partnership Building Blocks
- Do You Work For A Manager Or A Leader?
Leveraging Perceptions And Expectations
- The Foundation For A Successful Partnership
- Clarifying Role Perceptions And The Professional Partnership
- Shape Your Leader’s Perception
- Communication Enhancement Assessment Tools
- Understanding An Executive’s World
- Six Styles Of Leadership
The Keys To Powerful Communication With Your Leader
- Information Flow Manager
- Establishing “Rapport” Through Communication
- Importance Of Daily Huddles
- Executive Speak
- Communicating During Chaotic Or Turbulent Times
- Providing Upward Feedback
Working Together In A Virtual/Remote World
- Working Together ... While Apart
Enabling Your Leader’s Success
- Helping Your Leader Maintain A Competitive Edge
- Managing Multiple Managers
Interpersonal Skills Give You The Edge
- Interpersonal Skills Give You The Edge
Resolving Team Challenges
- Six Steps To Resolving Partnership Challenges
Module 4: Reaching Stardom™ (Strategy)
To become a Star Achiever, it is essential to possess great skills, a positive attitude, and strong team relationships. However, there is a fourth key component that plays a critical role in reaching professional stardom - actualizing your professional self. This requires taking responsibility for setting career goals, building networks, and reflecting a professional image. In today's highly competitive marketplace, standing out and being different from "the pack" can be challenging. Therefore, it is crucial to have a winning strategy.
Actualizing Your Professional Goals
- Uncommon And Unique
- Consider Your Values
- Believe In Yourself
- Setting Goals
- Write A Plan
- Tracking Your Progress
- Capitalize On Resources
- Reward Yourself
- Staying On Your Journey
- Recognize Opportunities For Growth
Design The Career You Want
- What’s Your Career Blueprint?
- Career Success Strategies
- The Disadvantages Of Job Hopping
A Winning Strategy For Business Relationships
- A Winning Strategy
- Cultivating Contacts
- Create A Network Map
- Nurture Internal And External Networks
- Expand Your Network
- Are You Memorable?
- Showcasing Your Skills In A Virtual World
Perception And Brand Management
- Perception Management
- Crafting And Building Your Professional Brand In The Workplace
- Establishing Your Professional Brand
- Presenting You, Wearing Your Powerful Brand
Module 1: Be A Shining Star™ (Attitude)
The administrative professional’s role has become complex and increasingly demanding. Assistants are being asked to do more work, fulfill broader organizational roles, support multiple managers, and still maintain high levels of quality. By improving self-management, conflict resolution, boundary setting, and self-esteem, assistants can foster healthier working relationships, maintain well-being, and prevent burnout.
- Exploring Work Stressors
- Evaluating Work Stress
- Top Nine Physical Stressors
- Categories Of Stress Indicators
- De-stress Yourself
Letting Off Steam Without Burning Others
- Transforming Conflict To Cooperative Solutions
- Defining Conflict
- Building Consensus
- Setting Boundaries In The Workplace
- How To Tactfully Set Boundaries
Creating Positive Self-Esteem
- Defining Self-Esteem
- Why Is Self-Esteem Important?
- Applying The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
Three Ingredients Of A Healthy Work Spirit
- 1st Ingredient: Change Your Mental Outlook
- 2nd Ingredient: Become A Risk-Taker
- 3rd Ingredient: Keep Yourself Competitive
The 5 Pillars: Lead Boldly And Live BIG
- Lead Boldly In The 5 Pillars Of Life
- Leading Boldly: Start With Your Mindset
- Live BIG
- The Foundation Competencies
- Joanisms: BIG Thoughts For A BIG Life
Module 2: Give A Stellar Performance™ (Skill)
You present yourself to others constantly. You make connections via e-mail, text, video, and social media. You send visual messages to individuals you approach. Every day you come in contact with many people: co-workers, customers, vendors, and other professionals. Your personal presentation style and speaking ability will either enhance or detract from your message. Equally important is the ability to communicate your needs assertively. Your ability to communicate clearly with others can be one of your best business assets.
Developing Personal Presentation Skills
- Personal Presentation
- The Presentation Puzzle
- Questions To Ask Yourself
- Gathering Information
- Make Your Writing Flow
- Making It Happen
- Materials, Impactful Props & Models
- Audio/Visual Equipment, Platforms
- The Rehearsal
- Managing Stage Jitters
- Delivering Your Presentation
- Defining Assertiveness
- Choosing When To Assert Yourself
The Power Of Persuasion
- Principles Of Persuasion
- Persuading Your Leader
- The Solution-Driven Process
- Exercising Your Creative Muscle
- Methods: Step, Brainstorm,
- Mind Map
- Developing A Solution-Oriented Mindset
Module 3: Stellar Collaborator™ (Teamwork)
Collaboration brings holistic energy. Instead of working in silos, which seems to be the case for many assistants, seek to work with your administrative peers and colleagues. Doing so will make you well-rounded, full, universal, complete, all-inclusive, and whole. Instead of you trying to figure everything out on your own, wasting precious time and energy, you could be increasing your productivity and experiencing better outcomes. That should motivate you to increase your “hope quotient” by respecting the diversity of your teammates and leveraging the power of teaming together.
Beyond A Team Of Two
- Teamwork And Collaboration
- Creating A Cohesive Team
- Peer Power: Finding Strength In Unity
- 5 Powerhouse Strategies For Creating Peer Power
- Leadership: The Spirit Behind the Strength Of Every Team
- Motivating Non-Team Members
The Power Of Collaboration
- Collaboration Vs. Teamwork
- Disagreeing With Tact And Diplomacy
- Value Diversity
- Fear And Collaboration
- Scarcity vs. Abundance Mindsets
- Collaborative Problem Solving and Strategic Thinking
- Be A Person Of Influence
- Conceptualizing Social Capital
- Creativity And Collaboration
Module 4: Future-Focused Star Performer™ (Strategy)
Adapting to change is essential for both personal and professional growth. Top-performing professionals today closely monitor new work and cultural developments to ensure their success and maintain relevance. Factors such as advancements in office technology, diverse workforces, increased job stress, remote work, and the demand for high-quality output all influence productivity, efficacy, and the organization's overall performance. As companies undergo constant change, they require administrative professionals who are committed to delivering exceptional performance and finding ways to optimize work processes.
Driving Forces Shaping Tomorrow
- Driving Forces Shaping Tomorrow
- Preparing For The Future
Harness The Power of Change
- The Challenge Of Change
- Why People Resist Change
- Related Aspects Of Change
- Optimizing Change
- It’s Just Business
- Be A Champion Of Change
Keeping Yourself on the Road to Success
- Here Comes the 60-Year Career
- Own Your Career
- 11 Success Tips
Living Through Leadership
- Developing Leadership Skills
- Demonstrating Leadership In The Workplace
- Staying On The Cutting Edge
Level III prepares assistants for their future, whether they stay in the profession or move in another direction. A different approach is employed with Level III. This level expands on the critical thinking competencies covered in the previous Levels by providing an in-depth exploration of those concepts and introduces new business competencies. Level III graduates demonstrate their understanding of key concepts and their ability to implement and utilize them.
Participants must graduate from Levels I & II prior to attending Level III.
Module 1: Star-Achieving Attitude™ (Attitude)
- Self-Management as an attitude
- Characteristics of successful self-managers
- Self-management development plan
- Managing the flow of energy
- Maintaining your peace and harmony working in the workplace ‘circus’
- Welcome everyday challenges and course correct
- Developing a diplomatically-assertive attitude
Module 2: Be A Stellar Ambassador™ (Skill)
- Interpersonal communication in the workplace
- Communication deterioration: what is really happening?
- Communication crisis: building rapport
- Catalysts and cures for communication crises
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- The absence of good judgment: the domino
- Common creativity blocks
Module 3: Coaching A Star Team™ (Teamwork)
- Teamwork: a union of talents
- Getting your team to support your efforts
- Stepping up to managerial responsibilities
- Balancing current and added responsibilities
- Encouraging, challenging and coaching staff
- Coaching your peers
- Becoming a great leader
Module 4: Mastering A Stellar Career™ (Strategy)
- Breaking self-limiting barriers
- Personal mastery: assuming responsibility and being accountable
- Integrating yourself into the conceptual age: are you ready?
- The artful orchestration of your career
- Become unforgettable: create a memorable brand through a career portfolio
- Be a career entrepreneur: engaging in your individual development plan
- Permanent beta: why your career is a work in progress
BONUS: CBS (Certified Business Skills) Designation
After a participant completes Level III, they will have the opportunity to add a CBS Designation to their CEAP designation (CEAP-CBS) thus demonstrating they have developed key business skills. This designation represents the pinnacle of the Star’s journey. When a participant receives this designation, they will find themselves amongst distinguished company.
The Star Achievement Difference
In 1990, when Founder and CEO of Office Dynamics, Joan Burge, developed the Star Achievement Series®, there were simply no other options available for companies who wanted to train and elevate their administrative team. Today, options may seem plentiful, but the Star Achievement Series® still stands as the only solution for serious businesses.
How is Star Achievement Series different?
The Star Philosophy is woven throughout each module. When participants understand and embrace the philosophy, they use it long after the training is over – benefiting themselves and your business.
With a 30+ proven track record that’s been evaluated by thousands of assistants, training and development directors, human resource experts, managers, and high-level executives, the Star Achievement Series® has stood the test of time.
This is a competency-driven curriculum written from Joan’s personal experiences and ongoing research.
Designed specifically for administrative staff and other support professionals:
The Star Achievement Series® audience has always been administrative professionals. That has allowed it to lead the profession through shifts and transformations because the target audience has never changed.
Well beyond traditional, “basic skills” training”:
The goal of the Series is to prepare administrative and support staff for real-world, modern office challenges.
High-energy curriculum and interactive sessions:
The Star Achievement Series® focuses on innovative methods of teaching – including role-playing, presentations, exercises, timed activities, puzzle assembly, value auction, group discussions, and more. Attendees remain engaged and energized throughout the series.
Corporate training options
Is your company looking to train its administrative team?
Star Achievement Series is a great solution and has been taught in many fortune 500 companies.
Elect to bring Star Achievement Series® creator and master trainer, Joan Burge, Founder & CEO of Office Dynamics International, or one of our highly-qualified trainers to your office.
Elect to have Star Achievement Series® creator and master trainer, Joan Burge, Founder & CEO of Office Dynamics International, train your administrative staff virtually.
Train The Trainer
Star Achievement is
Timeless, Proven, Strategic, Progressive, Modern, Thorough, Robust and Fun!
Are you interested?
Fill out the form or Call 800-STAR-139 Now!
By filling out this form and clicking submit, I agree to receive emails from Office Dynamics International. You may unsubscribe at any time from the bottom of our emails.
What Executives Say
What Participants Say
FAQ & Help
While some of the module topics listed may sound similar to programs you’ve previously conducted, it is important to remember that these topics are combined to be most effective when implemented cumulatively. The information presented in each module builds upon the previous module’s content, growing in complexity as the series progresses.
While your administrative and support staff may participate in continuing
education programs, the training is often not designed to meet their specific needs.
For example, management training programs are often only slightly adapted for support-staff purposes. While skills like communication may be taught to both managers and administrative staff alike, the specific application to their respective daily job functions are vastly different. Therefore, the training must be custom in order to effect real change.
Yes! We have carefully adapted the renowned Star program into a virtual platform. While we firmly believe that this course is most effective when conducted in-person, we recognized the need to continue to provide top-tier education regardless of whether your administrative staff is in the office or working from home. The virtual edition of Star still packs a punch and provides the same transformational experience attendees have come to expect.
The length of time to complete a Level or the entire Series depends on the organization and their timeline. Some organizations choose to have their staff complete the program in a short amount of time while others spread the classes out over several months. Joan Burge will help you determine what is best for your organization.
The levels do not correlate to the number of years someone has been in the profession. The levels relate to concepts and philosophies taught in Star Achievement, similar to college courses. “In more than 35 years in the business world, I have found that experience doesn’t necessarily equate to success in a given profession. Star Achievement Series® attendees working in the administrative field for more than 30 years have told me they still learned something new in Level I.” – Joan Burge
Healthcare companies, accounting firms, law firms and other businesses have used the Star Achievement Series® for their paralegals, corporate library support staff, mailroom staff, office and department managers, human resource staff, and every position in between. They have all benefited from the Star Achievement concepts and techniques.
The Series focuses on innovative methods of teaching, including interactive role-playing, presentations, exercises, timed activities, team competitions, case studies, brainstorming, modeling, demonstrations, and more. These exercises are energizing, challenging and fun.
- Proven classroom techniques specifically designed for the Star Achievement Series®
- How to weave the Star Philosophy throughout all your sessions
- Joan Burge’s secrets for keeping attendees motivated, even at 2:00 p.m.
- Effective use of the participant workbooks, additional resources and workbook companion pages located on the Office Dynamics website
- The typical questions asked by attendees and appropriate responses
- Maximize your message with effective props, training aids and visuals, all specifically designed for this Series
- Experience the same learning exercises as your participants will when you facilitate class
- Ideas for planning a stellar celebration for those employees who complete an entire Level of learning
- Marketing tips, sample documents and communications for internal Star program announcements
- Ways to customize the material so it aligns with your organization’s mission, vision and values
- Fully scripted Instructor Guide
- Pre-class preparation checklists
- Time agendas
- 4 participant workbooks (for facilitator’s reference) for each Level
- PowerPoint slides and video clips
- Masters for training props
- Suggested books, products, and more to complement the Series
- Supplier contacts for training aids and materials
- Access to private online support portal for Certified Trainers
- Example communications for announcing the Series to your organization
- Professionally designed flier to market the program
- Digital artwork to print posters for in-person classes
- Digital artwork of the Star Achievement logo to add to in-house course materials
To gain the most benefit of the Star Achievement Series, we highly recommend your company offers all three Levels as the program progressively gets more difficult and builds over 40 interpersonal and soft skills necessary for business success.
At minimum, we recommend teaching Levels I and II. If your organization wants to be able to offer a certification/designation to their assistants, they will have to teach Level I and II.
Every organization is different. Some Office Dynamics Star Achievement clients like to use the CEAP achievement for succession planning; others feel it demonstrates an assistant’s commitment to his or her career.