Founder and CEO of Office Dynamics International
Joan Burge is known as the pioneer of the administrative training industry. Joan is an accomplished author, professional speaker, consultant and corporate trainer.
In 1990, Joan created a business in an untapped niche, overcoming monumental obstacles involving corporations’ and managers’ attitudes, prejudices and stereotypes about executive assistants and administrative professionals. Joan dedicated herself to inspiring excellence and encouraging administrative professionals to reach for the stars! Her company, Office Dynamics International, is a global industry leader which offers a broad range of solutions and provides high-performance, sophisticated executive and administrative assistant training and coaching.
One thing is clear: Executive assistants, their executives, HR business partners, administrators, and managers have come to rely on Office Dynamics International because “only Joan is Joan.” Joan Burge is an original; the foremost expert in the demanding field of management support. She put in the hard work and high investment required to earn the reputational excellence and uncompromising trust of leaders in business. She illuminates through her empowering teaching, building better work relationships between executives and their assistants.
Joan’s never-ending quest to provide top-notch educational programs has earned the respect of premier clients like Cisco Systems, Battelle, Huntington Bank, AT&T, Kindred Healthcare, The Boeing Co., Humana Inc., Sunoco, Nokia, Procter & Gamble, and Nationwide Insurance.
Joan is best known for her highly-acclaimed Star Achievement Series® course which promotes “Star Performance” among executive assistants and administrative staff. This flagship training program has inspired thousands of administrative professionals to achieve excellence.
Joan is the creator and host of the Annual Conference for Administrative Excellence™ (started in 1993); the World Class Assistant™ Certification course; Mastering Exceptional Self-Leadership Certification course; and more than 100 customized workshops and seminars for executive and administrative assistants. Joan has produced more than 150 educational videos for assistants.
Joan has authored four groundbreaking books for administrative professionals including the Amazon Best Seller Who Took My Pen … Again? Secrets from Dynamic Executive Assistants. Her administrative-career “bibles” entitled Become an Inner Circle Assistant and Underneath It All continue to be favorites among executive and administrative assistants worldwide.
She is a member of the American Society for Training & Development, National Speakers Association Las Vegas Chapter, Society for Human Resource Management, Vistage International, and Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce.
Joan has made an indelible imprint on thousands of administrative professionals worldwide by creating a renewed focus on excellence in the workplace. Her impact reaches all levels of the profession through her personal brand of premier educational and training certification programs. She has coached and developed executive/assistant teams, leading to improved performance and sustainable partnerships.
Joan is a passionate advocate for the administrative profession as a career of choice. Since 1990, she has helped companies boost their bottom line by adding value within the administrative function.
Joan has a proven track record of skilled instructional design; bringing exuberant energy and positive attitude to her curricula. She engages participants of every age group through experiential techniques and innovative learning activities. A Joan Burge program or presentation will include facilitation of stimulating participant discussions and thorough post-workshop/program evaluations.
Joan has mastered the art of capturing a client’s goals, values and culture in order to tailor training and enrichment classes to meet their specific needs. She has created uniquely customized workshops, presentations, seminars and coaching sessions around the client—understanding that one size truly does not fit all.
Because of her engaging ability to empower learners and create behavior modification, Joan has been a popular speaker, presenting numerous educational programs to audiences outside the administrative realm.
Joan’s exhaustive research on the administrative profession and the interactions between administrators and the executives and leaders they support has made her the industry expert.
Joan’s clients represent all industries and companies of all sizes.
A visionary for the administrative profession, Joan eloquently articulates the vision for administrative excellence while teaching the necessary competencies for success in the field.
Creator, Author, and Master Trainer
Consists of 12 full days of training with 3 levels of learning. Joan designed workbooks for each full-day course ranging from 50 – 75 pages. Included in the workbook is content for in-classroom use, interim classroom activities, assessments, tools for dialogue, and lists extensive resources. Joan designed the content in a way that created interaction and skill practice in the classroom.
- The curriculum has been updated 16 times in 27 years
- Joan designed a certification process for attendees and created a curriculum-based designation: CEAP (Certified Executive Administrative Professional) outlining an entire process for achievement
- Joan designed two additional programs:
- Star Meteor™ (a full-day workshop with a workbook)
- Star Achievement Series® Refresher Course (a full-day workshop with a workbook)
• Build an exceptional level of trust.
• Help your executive maintain a competitive edge.
• Understand the role of chemistry in building strong partnerships.
• Get engaged in the scope of your executive’s work.
• Be more involved in decision making.
Joan wrote in-depth, detailed, comprehensive Instructor Guides for Levels I, II, and III detailing learning objectives, time agendas, pre-class preparation, formats, scripts, overviews, special trainers notes and more. These are highly-effective, user-friendly guides that ensure success to the individuals being certified to teach within their own
- Designed and strategically mapped out three days of learning for three different courses
- Wrote several presentations to facilitate during the courses
- Designed engaging, creative learning activities
- Designed the participant in-depth workbooks for each course
- Designed 10 modules (two – three hours each)
- Designed the participants workbook for 10 modules
- Designed comprehensive Instructor Guides
- Designed the content, learning activities, and quizzes for Part 1 and Part 2 courses; each is 2 ½ days
- Joan designed a certification process for this program and created a curriculum-based designation: CWCA (Certified World Class Assistant)
- Designed the entire program including learning activities, participants workbook, and any content-related information
- Presented the two-day mega event
- Created a process for attendees to achieve their Self-Leadership Certification
Including Some Of The Following:
- From Chaos to Control™
- Fighting Office Dragons™
- Eggs & Attitudes™
- Communicating Effectively for Results-Oriented Teamwork
- Creative Problem Solving for Career Success
- Becoming An Inner Circle Assistant
Joan designed and delivered each program and participant materials for each program. They range from one-hour to three-day workshops.
- Created, presented and hosted more than 24 conferences
- Engaged up to 450 attendees through educational presentations
- Wrote speeches and participant handouts for each conference
- Conceptually designed the flow of each conference and each theme for the event
- Collaborated with Creative to present meaningful visuals
- Created her own videos for ‘edutainment’ at conferences
- Designed concurrent session presentations with participant handouts
Including the best-selling 26 Weeks to Administrative Excellence; can be accessed via com and Office Dynamics YouTube Channel
- Designed and presented each program with excellence
- Designed the entire video learning programs including participants worksheets or booklets
- Delivered each content-rich program with energy and creativity
- Give Yourself Permission to Live a BIG Life
- Who Took My Pen . . . Again?
- Underneath It All
- Become An Inner Circle Assistant
- Real World Communication Strategies That Work
- Remarkable Women
- The Survival Guide For Secretaries And Administrative Assistants
- A Survival Guide For The Novice Entrepreneur
A Reputation of Excellence
Office Dynamics is proud to call some of the world’s best-known companies, institutions and organizations “clients.” To have earned a reputation for excellence among those who define its meaning is, to us, proof of success.
Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Ltd.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Boy Scouts of America
Children’s’ Hospital of Philadelphia
DC Water & Sewer Authority
Department of the Army
Department of the Navy Detroit Edison
Dixon Hughes Goodman
Elanco Animal Health
Eli Lilly & Co.
Geisinger Health System
McDermott Will & Emery, LLP
Michigan State University
National Association of Realtors
Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.
Procter & Gamble
Sands Expo & Convention Center
Spectrum Health Systems
Utah State University
30+ Years of Expertise in the Training & Development Profession
|AREA OF EXPERTISE||DESCRIPTION||YEARS|
|Performance Improvement||Applying a systematic process of discovering and analyzing human performance gaps; planning for future improvements in human performance; designing and developing solutions to close performance gaps; partnering with the customer when identifying the opportunity and the solution; implementing the solution; monitoring the change; evaluating the results.||30|
|Instructional Design||Designing, creating, and developing informal and formal learning solutions to meet organizational needs; analyzing and selecting the most appropriate strategy, methodologies, and technologies to maximize the learning experience and impact.||30|
|Training Delivery||Delivering informal and formal learning solutions in a manner that both engages the learner and produces the desired outcomes; managing and responding to learner needs.||30|
|Evaluating Learning Impact||Gathering, organizing, and analyzing information regarding the impact of learning solutions against key business drivers; presenting the information in a way that is meaningful to the organization.||30|
|Managing Learning Programs.||Providing leadership to execute the client’s strategy; planning, monitoring, and adjusting learning.||30|
|Integrated Talent Management||Changing the organization’s culture and perception of the administrative role to meet the modern-day role, leading to a new way of thinking about the profession; higher retention rates.||30|
|Coaching||Using interactive process to help individuals develop rapidly and produce results; improving other’s ability to set goals, take action, make better decisions, and make full use of their natural strengths.||20|
|Knowledge Management||Capturing, distributing, and archiving intellectual capital.||30|
|Change Management||Applying structured approaches to shift individuals, teams, and organization from a current state to a desired state.||30|