5 Ways to Take Charge of Your Career
- Think like an entrepreneur. See yourself as President of You, Inc. Don’t just think of yourself as working for someone else. Learn to take responsibility and be accountable for your work environment. Be a catalyst in making good things happen around you.
- See teams everywhere. See people in other departments as part of the bigger team. A business should be a constellation of talent. As each person becomes better at what he or she does and shares successes with colleagues, each department becomes stronger. As each department becomes more effective, the entire organization excels.
- Be a problem solver. In the new work environment, you have to tackle problems inside and outside your immediate area. When you see a problem, take ownership. Think of several solutions, evaluate possible outcomes, select one and move forward.
- Take risks. When you take a risk, the outcome is not always guaranteed. But if you never take a risk, or push your limits, you will never know your true potential.
- Seek feedback. All of us have “blind spots.” Encourage feedback from your manager, colleagues, customers, and others who interact with you regularly. Once you receive their feedback, work on a plan for improvement.