Summer is a great time to do a little clean up around the office and organize your work space. Business is usually a little quieter, employees take vacation, and there just seems to be a more relaxed atmosphere at work. It is the perfect time for you to get organized before the craziness of business sets in this fall.
Messy desks are no longer just an office eyesore, unkempt workspaces are becoming a productivity issue as offices become more cramped and cubicles replace private offices. Studies show that workers spend up to 30 minutes a day organizing their work areas.
- There is less room for stuff.
- There is more stuff on office desks: computers, printers, tablets, smart phones, and other new technologies.
- “Others see a messy desk and assume you are disorganized. It can impact your career,” says Liz Davenport, a professional organizer.
- It is hard to focus when stuff is piled up.
How to get organized
- Cluster similar items/supplies and activities.
- Love the round file! Throw things out. Do not be a packrat.
- Get the clutter off your desk and credenzas. Put little trinkets and collectibles away. Your desk is a place of action. Your work area is a place of business.
- An informal-looking workstation gives outsiders the impression of unprofessionalism.
- Use personal photos sparingly.
- Use every inch of space in drawers and cabinets.
- Place the items you most frequently use closest to you.
- Organize your Outlook folders.
When you are organized, you are better able to handle the day’s events and stay on top of the important tasks and assignments. Have a great week.