Becoming a stellar administrative assistant is the product of hard work, dedication, and a thoughtful approach. It takes time and effort to achieve that high level of success. Think of it like assembling all the pieces of a large puzzle. Each puzzle piece is a key skill or attribute you’ll need to have in place in order to continue growing. You can’t, for example, become a better communicator if you haven’t yet learned how to really listen to people. It’s critical to put one piece in place and then the next to complete the puzzle.
Seeing the Big Picture
As you put a piece in place, something will start to reveal itself. It’s called the BIG PICTURE. That big picture provides a complete view of a top-tier executive assistant. While the allure of the big picture is strong, it’s important to remember how important each individual puzzle piece is. Without those tiny pieces, it’s impossible to get to the big picture. Here are some examples of the key pieces administrative assistants need to put in place:
- A Strategic Partnership with Their Leader
- An In-Depth Understanding of Their Executive’s World
- The Development of Critical Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
- The Ability to Adapt and Work Well in a Virtual World
- Stellar Travel and Calendar Management Skills
- An Awareness of How You Can Protect Your Executive’s Image
- The Ability to Orchestrate and Support Multiple Managers
We understand that the task of assembling the puzzle isn’t an easy one. In fact, you may feel a bit daunted by the quest. That’s okay and perfectly normal to feel like you’re standing at the bottom of a mountain you know you need to climb. In an effort to help assistants with their big picture journey, we’ve just released a cutting-edge, interactive workbook called Mastering Executive Support: Putting the Pieces of the Puzzle Together. In it we introduce you to each of the critical puzzle pieces you’ll need to provide outstanding executive support.