Don’t Get Lost In The Clouds … The Visible Assistant
Hello Monday Motivators! I hope you had a great weekend. To continue our travels through this special month of June, the official month of the 25th year anniversary of Office Dynamics, I found more goodies to share with you!
Star Quest was the first newsletter I published. Last week I shared with you a story about Office Life which came after Star Quest, an 8-page color newsletter we published monthly.
Here is an excerpt from the cover story of the November 1997 issue! It is still applicable today, although the administrative profession has become more visible over the past 5 years. To read the full story and other articles, you will want to visit our blog to download the full issue of the Star Quest Newsletter here.
For years, secretaries and administrative assistants traveled at low levels. They were invisible. In fact, the theory was that if you were a really good assistant, you would be invisible to your boss and others. You would glide through your day, get tasks done, and do whatever it took without telling everyone what you did and how you did it. This was the way it was! Today’s philosophy is be visible. Stop hiding your talents and contributions to the organization. Stand out – be different – use your strengths to shine. Stop being a glimmer of light.
It’s time for administrative professionals to come up from the clouds that have cast a gloom over their performance. It is time to rise above the coworkers, friends, or even family members who kept you invisible. It is time for you to become the Visible Assistant.
4 Ways To Get Noticed At Work
There are four considerations to make this happen:
- You have to expand your horizons. Quit traveling close to the ground.
- Expect turbulence. As you climb and strive to reach your star performance, you may get some repercussions from your organization, department, boss, colleagues and even your best friend. Just remember that like my commuter plane going to Chicago, you will rise above the clouds to an even better place.
- Rise above your environmental clouds. Like the aircraft blurred in the mass of clouds, you may be blurred in the mass of coworkers. Your performance may be clouded by a boss who holds you down, a coworker who diminishes your contributions, or a team who stamps out your creativity.
- Increase your visibility through performance improvement. As you improve your work performance through professional development and feedback, people in your organization will notice you. They may notice you already, but are they noticing you for the right behaviors and reasons?
The administrative profession has come a long way since 1997 and assistants are more visible than ever. But don’t rest on your laurels if you are in the administrative profession. We still have much work to do!
Wishing you a great week. Be sure to let your talents and gifts shine.
Also, don’t forget to stay connected for great surprises all month long! We’ll be giving away 25 prizes in honor of 25 years throughout the month of June. You will want to be sure you’re connected with us (and engaging) on ALL fronts!
- Connect with us on Facebook
- Follow @OfficeDynamics on Twitter
- Follow our Company Page on LinkedIn
- Subscribe to and frequently share your thoughts right here in the comments below.