If you feel you are on the verge of stressing too much because of your job or even home life, take a step back. You might be burning out. Before it becomes full-blown, take these steps:
- Find time to play. Even if it means forcing yourself. People on the verge of burnout usually are spending less time with family and friends. They have trouble getting away from the workplace. If you can’t take a few days off, even just one day, in a relaxing environment with no computers, faxes, e-mails, phone calls or any thoughts of work, can help renew you. Try a technology fast on this day off to get the full benefit of rejuvenation.
- Set realistic objectives. If you are feeling snowed under at work, sit down with a boss and prioritize your projects. Categorize them and then attack!
- Use your support network. Everyone needs people inside and outside of work to turn to for support, encouragement, and candid feedback. Most important are those folks who laugh with you and are true friends.
- Keep your options open within the Company. People who burn out usually feel they do not have a way out of a situation. Update your resume and be prepared to talk about your accomplishments in the past five years and what you can contribute to the organization. Determine areas within the company that you may contribute to.
* Plan a vacation or quick getaway
* Sign up for regular, non-work activity during the weeks that makes you leave the office early.
* Subscribe to publications that have no relationship to your profession.