I have several tips I can offer on this subject, but here are the top 5. If you make any one of these a habit, you will see an increase in your productivity.
- FOCUS! This is the most important of all 5. In a world where people think multitasking is a valued skill, it isn’t. Research proves being focused will move you faster than any other habit.
- Next is to focus on your “A” priority items. I can’t tell you how many times I observe administrative assistants at their workplace, at their desk, and they jump from an “A” priority to a “C” priority just because someone handed it to them or emailed their request. Just because something “pops” in front of you does not mean you should drop what you are doing.
- Ask others for specific deadlines. This will help you establish your priorities.
- Don’t confuse busyness with productivity. You can be busy on the wrong things. Focus on tasks that have an impact and make a difference.
- Avoid backlogs of work by keeping information flowing. View yourself as an information flow manager.
For more information on this subject view my free video training for administrative professionals.