Great administrators are known as those who do their best, work at the top of their game and who work like they are in a profession of choice. One of the strongest ways to send that message is when you choose to certify.
Certification is a choice to complete a full program of study. Besides the actual skills and competencies you learn through a certification program, it also demonstrates to those around you that you can set goals and achieve objectives – you can be trusted to go the distance.
A very important quality in business today is the “stick-to-it-ness” that is so lacking in society. People start and stop things constantly. We commiserate with those who have repeated annual resolutions to lose weight, quit smoking or stop gossiping; the truth is that very few people can actually dream, envision, research, analyze, decide, execute, complete, and succeed what they set out to do.
So why should you choose to certify?
- You build confidence! Having that certificate on your wall sends a great positive message to everyone you work with. It means you are hungry for more! It teaches you that you are still teachable.
- You gain new skills and competencies. The world is moving faster! Today’s garage startups will be the industry standard next year. You need to become – and remain – competitive.
- You reinvent yourself. Reinventing yourself means you remain current and viable; you transcend age. This is critical because no matter your chronological age, you need to be adaptable.
- You broaden your perspective. When you grow, you gain new insights that allow you to approach your work in a new, fresh way. You think more creatively and strategically.
- You gain reputational prowess within your company. When you enter someone’s office, don’t you look around and see what they have posted? Framed certificates communicate that you care, that you “get it” and are serious about the business.
- You master your time. When you decide to go the second mile for your career, you learn how to harness all that “free time” spent surfing the television and Internet, at the water cooler chatting — none of which are inherently bad, but they may be a poor choice when you could instead be focused on creating a better future.
- You decide to value yourself more highly. Yes, it takes effort to work a certification through to completion: turning in every assignment, reading, analyzing, expansion of your mind and tools. But it’s so worth it!
- You can compete. In this competitive job market, you need every tool and resource in your toolkit.
- You may even pay for it yourself. Hear me out on this one. You may need to split costs with your employer, such as using a vacation to attend a conference they pay for, etc. Seeing yourself as an investment will increase your face value. You’ll carry yourself well, have professional poise and presence. You’ll walk into any boardroom or office with confidence that you are more than capable to perform with excellence.
A Professional Designation is a Bonus
There are many certification classes and online courses offered for assistants today, but there are few that offer a professional designation. A designation takes you to a totally different level in your career.
We offer a very special designation with our World Class Assistant™ course. It is called a curriculum-based designation. Curriculum-based means that a person must attend the class and go through the curriculum, practice the skills learned, and pass a quiz. Because assistants have to attend this course to get the designation, it is a very elite designation. Not anyone can just get it. Once an assistant passes the quiz (which is given in class), the assistant receives the CWCA initials to place after his or her name.
A professional designation will stand out. It will show that you truly have gone the extra mile in your profession. Plus, you will be proud to place those credentials after your name. If you receive any type of credentials, be sure to place them after your name on your signature line, LinkedIn profile, letterhead (if you use that), and anywhere else that is appropriate.
“Of all the programs offered by other training companies that I’ve attended, World Class Assistant™ was much more comprehensive and intense. This program is head and shoulders above the rest! It continues to help raise the bar.” – Jennie Forcum, CWCA