I am celebrating finishing a year of Monday Motivators which focused on a 12-month theme of “2014-The Year of BIG.” I’m wondering how many of you were reached with my BIG Life principles. I am curious if I clearly communicated what I mean by a “BIG Life.”
Each month this year, I focused on a different aspect of BIG Life. Themes included BIG: Thoughts (Jan); Goals (Feb); Energy (March); Focus (April); Learning (May); Staying Power (June); Change (July); Action (August); Choices (September); October—(I took a little break); Resilience (November); Celebration (December). If you missed any of these issues, you can find them on the Office Dynamics Blog and view my videos on my Joan Burge BIG Life YouTube Channel.
I want to give you a special gift as the year ends. Here are some core principles on living a BIG Life from my book, Give Yourself Permission to Live a BIG Life.
BIG Life Principles
- The depth and breadth of your life is more important than the number of years you live.
- You are designed for greatness. Are you allowing yourself to become all you were destined to be?
- Be grateful every day—not just when life is going your way. Every single day we can find several things for which to be grateful. These should be written in a special journal at the end of the day before you turn out the light. It will help you sleep better! This practice is especially important when you have had a rough day.
- A BIG Life is supported by 5 Pillars.
- Be a self-leader in each Pillar. Do not wait for others to lead the way. As you self-lead, you will become a role model for others. You will be more confident and see results in each Pillar. You will feel empowered and excited about being an inspiration to others.
- The 5 Pillars are interwoven and impact each other. For example,
Financial fitness helps physical wellness. You will be able to provide for your family and take them on that special vacation.
Career helps with financial which means you can pay your bills, maintain your home and support a local cause.
When we are spiritually connected, we operate at a higher level and experience more meaningful relationships.
Being connected to family is essential to a happy and healthy life. Family includes pets, good neighbors and friends, strong community groups.
Taking care of our bodies and fueling them with the right foods or activity trigger the “happy” endorphins which stimulate creative thinking and help manage stress. Wellness impacts all the other Pillars.
Many of you know my Wellness Pillar was shaken BIG time this summer when a large, rare tumor was discovered on my skull. The surgery was a success. The doctors said it was because I had been taking care of myself for the past several years, my body was able to fight and come through the surgery with flying colors. And my recovery time was shorter than people who have neglected to take care of themselves.
- If you are going to live a BIG Life, you have to make time for you! You cannot take care of and support the people you really care about if you have not made time for yourself. You need to regroup with yourself; recoup your energy or just get away from it all for a few days so you can come back to your daily life with renewed energy. This is one of the best gifts you can give those you love.
- Are you living a BIG life or a busy life? People who live a BIG life are busy. However, they are selective about what they involve themselves in. They choose to do things that have impact and make a difference. Or they choose to pay attention to their kids while dining at a restaurant rather than being on their phones. Are you filling your life with activities and projects that are fulfilling or just keep you busy? Are you afraid to have quiet time as part of your busy life?
- If we are going to live a BIG Life, we have to be courageous and resilient. We must tell ourselves “I choose to be a victor over my circumstances.” Make sure you don’t play the victim role for too long when life throws you a curve-ball or your job isn’t going the way you want; or your boss isn’t making your job interesting. When you feel overwhelmed or challenged, put on your “Warrior Armor” and move forward.
Well, dear Monday Motivators, it is time for me to come to a close with my thoughts for 2014. Thank you so very much for being a part of my BIG Life. You keep me going when I feel too tired to write a Monday Motivator. It is your kind letters and e-mails telling me that what I said was exactly what you needed to hear—that keeps me writing at odd hours. It’s because of you I challenge my own thinking and continue to write you week-after-week.
All of us at Office Dynamics wish you the happiest of holidays and a wonderful New Year!
Give the gift of a BIG Life to yourself or one of your female friends this holiday season! Order now.